Wednesday, August 24, 2011

SWA # 1


               Probably the most enjoyable time I’ve ever had writing was my junior year of high school in a mythology course I was taking.  We had a semester project to research and write a paper over a mythological topic of our choice.  I chose pyramids and I wrote about myths and legends related to pyramids throughout the world.  Also this assignment was very structured and had many guidelines.  I am not a very organized or creative writer so this was very helpful.
                There really isn’t a worst writing experience that just stands out to me because most writing assignments feel like a horrible experience.  I’m not exactly the strongest writer so I usually struggle to come up with things to write about especially after I’ve said everything I can and still have not met the minimum length requirement.
                My worst writing experiences have affected more. I would say that because now I absolutely loathe any writing assignment that comes my way, especially ones that have a length requirement and I know that I won’t be able to reach without a struggle.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool! Why exactly DID the Egyptians build the pyramids? Did it have some sort of religious context?

    Sometimes writing assignments can be intimidating, especially long ones. My strategy is usually to do as much research as I can so I know enough about the topic, and from there just write as much as I can from memory (not forgetting to place in quotes and sources along the way). If you can find a few good quotations to include, than explaining them in detail usually takes up a lot of space. Don't let length scare you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Egyptians built the pyramids to bury their Pharaohs. The pyramids were built to house the Pharaoh and all the items he would need for his Afterlife such as beds, jewels, clothes and small figures called shabtis which represent servants or people who would still serve under the Pharaoh in the Afterlife. The Egyptian's beliefs of the Afterlife can be related to the Christian belief of Heaven.

    ReplyDelete