Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Planning Essay 4

1. Some animal lovers and certain researchers and zoos would love to breed endangered species to protect the environment from a mass extinction, prevent the loss of beloved creatures and save the possibility of discovering scientific findings that could improve our lives.
2. However, on the other hand some scientists and researchers argue against captive breeding due to the findings that species with small populations increase the chances that undesirable genes will become widespread in the population while in captivity.
3. Another group completely against captive breeding consists of animal lovers and animal rights activists such as PETA because the organisms are not in their natural habitat, they have no choice in whether they want to reproduce or not and are not free to choose their partner.
4.  A small, influential group of people who collect rare organisms, mostly animals and birds, will not participate in captive breeding programs because either they have no interest in breeding or they welcome the population decline as it increases the rarity of their organism.
  • I'm planning to write a policy paper and I'm proposing that captive breeding should be used but the added time should be used to improve the problems that face captive bred organisms.
  • I'm undecided if I'll do more research or not.  I have a lot of information but since we had to find four different perspectives, I feel as though it wouldn't hurt to have more for my policy paper since I'm focusing more on the perspective I relate the most to.

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a tough topic to make a proposal or policy on. It affects so many people and affects the environment so much I'd be interested to know your proposal in the end. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete